When a person dies they often leave behind property, assets and debts this is commonly referred to as a deceased person’s ‘estate’.

Where the deceased has left a valid will, their estate will usually be finalised by the E named in the will. If however, the deceased has died without leaving a will, then the deceased’s closest will usually be responsible for finalising the estate and will usually be appointed the administrator of the estate.

It is the responsibility of the Executor or Administrator to make sure all debts of the deceased are paid and that any remaining assets are distributed according to the deceased’s wishes (where there is a will) or the laws of (where there is no will).  In many cases, this may require the Executor or Administrator to apply for a Grant of Representation – known as Probate or Letters of Administration – from the Supreme Court of Victoria.

Our experienced Estate lawyers can advise and assist you in applying for the necessary grant of representation and the subsequent administration of the deceased’s estate.