An Application for an Intervention Order may be made at any State Magistrates’ Court.


Intervention Orders are known in some other States as Apprehended Violence Orders (AVOs).


An Application can be made:

  1. Under the Personal Safety Intervention Orders Act 2010where there is no family relationship between the Applicant and the Respondent; or
  2. Under the Family Violence Protection Act 2008where the Applicant and Respondent are family members. “Family members” is defined widely and includes de facto relatives.


Intervention Orders focus on individual safety and property preservation.



The Application for an Intervention Order may be made at the Magistrates’ Court by:

  • The affected family member (or affected person) if that person is at least 18; or
  • By a police officer on behalf of the Applicant; or
  • By any other person with the written consent of the affected person/affected family member; or
  • If the affected person is a child, then by the child’s parent or any other person with the written consent of the child’s parent; or
  • With the Court’s permission, by a child if the child is over 14 in certain circumstances.



Family Violence includes mainly but is not necessarily limited to:

  • Threats;
  • Physical and sexual abuse;
  • Emotional and psychological abuse;
  • Economic abuse;
  • Injury to animals;
  • Damage to property;
  • Controlling, dominating conduct – which cause an applicant to fear for his/her safety or another person’s safety.


A Personal Safety Order can be made where the Applicant fears for his/her safety, because of the conduct of a non-family member. This can be for conduct such as stalking behaviour, misbehaviour of neighbours or misbehaviour of people who are not relatives, threats of violence or violence. The Court may suggest the parties attend Mediation subject to a preliminary assessment as to its appropriateness.


An Intervention Order can do any number of things and commonly:

  • Prohibits specific behaviour; or
  • Prohibits attendance at a particular occasion; or
  • Prohibits a party coming within a particular distance of a location such as a place of work or a home; or
  • Prohibits communications with the affected family member; or
  • Protects property; or
  • Forbids conduct such as following a person;
  • Revokes firearms licences;
  • Requires a party to attend counselling.


Family Law Children’s Orders

The terms of an interim or final Intervention Order can have a direct and significant bearing on existing or future arrangements about Children or Family Law Children’s Orders.


The Family Law Act 1975 and the Family Violence Protection Act 2008 make it clear that in certain circumstances a Magistrate making an interim Intervention Order can cancel a Family Law Children’s Order to the extent that the Family Law Order is inconsistent with the Intervention Order.


Interim Orders may be made in the absence of a party. Once Court ordered restrictions are in place in an Intervention Order, it may be difficult to have these conditions varied without the consent of the other party. It is important that your options and entitlements are explored at the earliest opportunity.



If a Court considers it appropriate, then an Interim (immediate) Order can be made pending further Mention or Hearing. Invariably, the Police serve Orders on the other party.



The granting of an Interim Intervention Order against a party is a civil order and does not constitute a criminal conviction.


However, if the Police were to file proceedings against a party alleging that they had breached an Intervention Order and the Court finds that a breach has taken place, the Court can record a conviction or take other action under the relevant criminal code.


The penalties for breaching an Intervention Order can include fines and in serious circumstances the imposition of a jail term.



The duration of any Order granted depends on the particular circumstances prevailing in each case. Often Orders are made for 6 months or 1 year. Orders can be indefinite. Orders can be extended. Orders can be revoked. Orders can be varied.



Likewise, if you have been served with an Intervention Order Application and disagree with the accusations made, it is vital that you get a chance to put your position to the Court. If the appropriate action is not taken promptly, an Order may be made against you in your absence. Not only may that Order significantly restrict your movements, but a breach of its conditions could attract severe penalties including imprisonment.